In a interview with PUNCH's Kayode Falade, the Vice-Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, talked about his nomination,being Tinubu's stooge and finally, whether Pastor Adeboye of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, where he is a pastor, endorsed him or not. Excerpts:
- You were not in the early picture of contenders for the vice-presidential slot. When and how did your name pop up?
- The Redeemed Christian Church of God, where you are a pastor, has come out to say it never endorsed you…
- But did you seek Pastor Adeboye’s consent before accepting the nomination?
- Did he give you his consent?
- As a pastor and legal practitioner who is not much of a politician; why did you accept the offer when you were nominated?
- You’ve always emphasised prayers. Did you pray about this before you accepted?
I also believe that when you are committed to doing God’s will — and His will for us all as Christians is that we must participate in solving problems, especially the problems of the needy and those who cannot help themselves — we must do those things. For me, it is almost unthinkable for a Christian to second-guess public service. We must be prepared to serve the people. That is what I teach and preach in my church. There are probably hundreds of thousands of individuals as deserving who do not get that opportunity, but I do. And then I should turn it down for some reasons? It wouldn’t even occur to me, except if God were to say specifically to me, ‘Don’t do it.’
- Did God reveal your victory?
- And what did He tell you?
- The opposition has labelled you a stooge of the National Leader of the APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu. What is your reaction to that?
You will have to ask Buhari why he likes pastors. But I think it’s a good thing and a good sign. I think it shows that he is well and able to work with anyone — clerics and people of other faiths.